Thursday 26 May 2011

Crawlathon ?

Yesterday’s run was really painful. Sharp acute pain on the top of my right foot. I ran on it regardless… I know very stupid of me.  After 40 minutes though I decided to walk the rest.  When I walk it’s really ok. It hurts when I move my foot certain ways, mainly sideways  Also of course the impact caused by running is pretty painful.
Today the high heels have been kicked to da curb.  
I need to see a doctor.  Maybe some orthotics are in order ?  My foot is pretty arched (oversupinated)
If I press on the area of 1st and 2nd metatarsusssess, where it meets the ankle, it hurts, and there is slight swelling as well. .
I do not like the treatment: REST. Ugh ! Marathon is less than a month away !! I'm gonna crawl my way to the finish line if I have to.
I. AM. DOING. THIS. 10K.

Google search result : Metatarsal Stress Fracture.
  • Foot metatarsal pain which comes on gradually.
  • Pain is located towards the mid/front of the foot.
  • Pain is aggravated by weight bearing activities such as walking, running or dancing.
  • Pain to touch the bone at the point it is broken.
  • Swelling is often present.
  • An X-ray will often not show the fracture until two or three weeks after it has started to heal.

What causes stress fractures?
  • Over use!
  • Too much training, too soon without enough rest!
  • Oversupination  (very arched foot)
  • They are common in army recruits (often called a march fracture), runners, ballet dancers and gymnasts.

Treatment
  • Rest from weight bearing activities as much as possible.
  • For those whose job requires them to weight bear, a walking boot may be used.
  • The rest period should normally be around 4 weeks to allow sufficient healing.
  • Recommence activities only once all pain on touch and walking have cleared.
  • Start with a very slow return to activity and a gradual build of duration and intensity.
  • If the stress fracture may have been caused by abnormal foot mechanics such as overpronation or oversupination then orthotics may be required to correct this.

No comments:

Post a Comment