Thursday 19 May 2011

Queen of the Lake

Tonight's run was hard on me. Cardio was ok, legs felt semi-ok (but quite heavy). But the worst thing was : the heat !!
Sun directly hitting my head was NOT good. I became SO hot and dizzy, I had to stop. My head felt like it was gonna explode, I felt my heart beat through the skin of my face and in my ears.
I tried walking a little longer than 1 min between the 5 min runs, but the heat got the best of me. So I decided to listen to my body and walk the rest of the route.  This all sums up to 30-40 minutes training and 20 min walking. 
I felt really disappointed in myself at first and Aunt Guilt pulled in the driveway "Is THAT how you want to do it ? Is that REALLY how you want to do it ? Then you can just forget about this whole marathon thing".  But then as I cooled down a bit, my sanity settled back in slowly and forgave me ;-).
I'm really super tired. It's 8:27 PM and I'm hitting the sack soon. Just have to wait for my son to go to bed.

The heat also made me SO irritable; so not enjoying the run at ALL. You know that feeling of freedom and empowerment that comes with running and reaching higher mental ground ? You know the one ? Well I didn't feel it.
All I could focus on was counting the seconds until the damn 5 minutes would be over, hoping that my giant purple head wouldn't explode, all the while trying to make my way through all those people walking around the lake and being startled by cyclists, rollerbladers and other runners passing me.
People just do NOT get out of the way !! Can't they see that *I* have priority coz *I* am training for a marathon and *I* am Queen of the Lake?? ggrrrr. Beep beep !!! Coming through !!! Stop enjoying yourselves and make room will ya ?? Even my music kinda started to irritate me.  Rammstein, just shove it.

Bottom line : when it's sunny outside let's opt for the late-evening run, which offers cool air, less people and no direct sunrays on my head.  Then I shall be a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment